Museum of the Big Bend in Alpine, on the campus of Sul Ross State University. From the Museum's website:
"In 1926 the West Texas Historical and Scientific Society was founded
for the purpose of creating a museum for the Big Bend region. With
funding from the Texas Centennial Commission and the WPA, the Museum was
constructed in 1937.
In 2006 the structure was completely renovated and new exhibits designed and installed. Located in the Emmett and
Miriam McCoy building, the Museum opened in August 2007 and is the only native rock structure left on the Sul Ross State University campus"
The Museum does hold an extrordinary collection of maps, the Yana and Marty Davis Map Collection. View selections of the collection here.